Did you know that graduate education at UA plays a profound role in Alabama’s 21st century economic development potential? That UA’s 50, more 000+ graduate degree-holding alumni will contribute over $13 billion in value-added income to the state over their lifetimes? Learn more as Dr. David A. Francko, resuscitation Dean of the UA Graduate School and Chair of the Alabama Council of Graduate Deans narrates an eye-opening new video, capsule “How Graduate Education Builds the Knowledge Economy in Alabama.”
Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle said, view
“We’re fortunate to have some of the best and brightest minds in the country here in the Rocket City. With this community’s technical aptitude and strong impact on space exploration, it is imperative that we take advantage of opportunities such as the Google Lunar X PRIZE. I have confidence this team will make our city proud.”
Alabama Senator Richard Shelby said, “Huntsville has a proud history as the rocket capital of the world and remains on the cutting edge of new space technology. I am confident this contingent will represent Huntsville’s tradition and prominence in space exploration well, and I wish the team the best of luck in the competition.”
The competition will give away $30 million in prizes, with $20 million for first prize, $5 million for second place and $5 million in other prizes. The goal is to land a rover on the moon, have it travel 500 feet and transmit pictures/data to Earth before the end of 2012. All teams must be at least 90% privately funded, to insure the acceleration of commercial space endeavors Google (and others) are pushing for.
- Teledyne Brown Engineering, an engineering services company
- Andrews Space Inc., an integrator of aerospace systems & technology developer
- Spaceflight Services, a provider of payload flight services
- Draper Laboratory, a non-profit R&D laboratory
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville, which has flown 18 space shuttle payloads
- The Von Braun Center for Science & Innovation, a non-profit research and development organization.